OpenWetWare Centrifuge SOP
|OpenWetWare Centrifuge SOP|
|was added by||Tsz-Leung To|
|license||Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported|
Effective date: November 01, 2007
Description: Centrifuges are used to separate chemicals based on their densities.
Potential Safety Issues: Mechanical hazard from rapidly moving centrifuge parts.
- Turn on power to the centrifuge.
- Set the centrifuge to spin at the desired speed, temperature, and duration. Do not spin samples and sample containers at a centrifugal force higher than they are rated to withstand.
- Place samples in the centrifuge in a balanced manner.
- Before starting, make sure that the rotor tie-down device is securely fastened.
- Close the centrifugation chamber and start the centrifuge.
- Ensure that the centrifuge has come to a complete stop.
- Open the centrifugation chamber and remove all samples.
- Close the centrifugation chamber.
In the Event of an Power Failure: Shut down all centrifuges. Do not attempt to retrieve the sample from the centrifuge for at least one hour.
Monitoring Required: Centrifuges are inspected weekly by the student safety coordinator for cleanliness.